Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Hi Everybody!



As a current Fujitsu S6510 I just wanted to get some thoughts from past, present and future Fujitsu owners. I've noticed the Fujitsu board doesn't get much action as the others so might as well try and spark an interesting discussion



For past and present owners: Did or do you like your Fujitsu laptop? What model was it? How much did it cost? any plans for future upgrades? How long did your laptop last? Likes and Dislikes?



For future owners: What model are you interested in?





Laptop Model: S6510



Specs: 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, 120GB HD, Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit



upgrades: Add 2gb of RAM, 320gb 7200rpm HD



System Status: Got some scratches on hood of laptop but its still running strong after two years



Paid: $1429



Likes/Dislikes: Well built, Beautiful screen, good battery life, decent weight. One thing I don't like about the laptop is the keyboard. Its a little too mushy for my taste. I prefer the crispness of my T61

Reply 1 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Just got mine right now new



T5010



P8600, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD



Hoping to upgrade the HD sometime soon. Its well built, amazing screen, very nice keyboard, a bit fisher price on the touch pad buttons but good touchpad. Good weight and should be great for college.

Reply 2 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Present owner here..



Model: Lifebook T5010

Specs: C2D Penryn T9400 2.53Ghz, 2GB DDR3 RAM, Montevina GM45 Chipset, 320 5400RPM SATA II HDD, Vista Business

Upgrades: None yet, currently keeping an eye to Intel new SSD.

System Status: Heat heat and heat problem. Everything else is great.

Paid: $2400



Likes/Dislikes: Well built (although not the best IMHO), No other tablet could beat its screen presently, design doesn't meet my taste.



@stringbean



7 Pro? is that RTM edition?

Reply 3 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Looks like both of you are tablet owners. Lemme guess requirement by engineering dept at your college?



RaZZnuts



$2400?! Looks like your in the lead for most expensive Fujitsu for now. I'm definitely curious to see what others paid.



Yeah its the final version that my school made available for download last Friday! Took like 48 min to install. Still trying to work out the whole installing drivers stuff since Fujitsu hasn't released official ones yet.

Reply 4 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Oh Euquility



What kind of HD you thinking of upgrading to?

Reply 5 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

@String



Nah, I'll be starting my college about next year

Last year high-school..



Actually I'm quite sure the real price is only about $2000-ish, but you see Custom, Tax, and other blahblah charges in my country contribute the $400



Tips: Provided Vista driver still works on 7

But some utilities won't work due to your 64-bit choice.



Try this, and make sure you run the installer in Vista compability mode.



http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/support...a64_s6510.html





Oh and I think it's also worth to check Intel website.

Reply 6 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Thanks for the tip Razz...yeah I was able to run all of the 64bit drivers earlier via vista compatibility mode. Everything is running well except for the on screen display...volume works perfectly but screen brightness shows that its stuck on one bar even though the screen can be brightened or dimmed.



Enjoy ur last yr of high school! I miss those laid back days. I still have a yr left in grad school. That makes me super old! haha. What country you from?

Reply 7 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

Maybe it's because my previous work notebook was a MacBook Pro, but I like the anonymity. It flies completely under the radar. I've had at least two coworkers see my new notebook and ask why I didn't get something like [x] with my research budget. Invariably, they suggest something that isn't half as capable as what I did get.



Paid about $1750 (w/ organizational discount) for the specs below and 3yr warranty. I added an Intel X-25M SSD.



Likes? Display offers retina-burning brightness and reasonably good contrast, Performance (PCMark Vantage > 6200!), Size/Weight, graphics performance isn't great, but it's respectable. Battery performance. Not having to use an adapter for VGA projectors. Keyboard is actually growing on me.



Dislikes? I still wish the display were matte. The keyboard was a trampoline when it arrived from the factory. I considered returning it, but it settled down - literally. I don't know what happened, but I'm not complaining. S-video out? Sure, my TV has an s-video port, but I'd prefer to have a digital out - especially since the other port is VGA.



Future? Might consider the ultra-light P series in the future, but price-performance situation would need to get better.



From the other thread: I live in the US. Fujitsu offers a 'Chrome 430 ULP' GPU in the Lifebook S. It's very basic: performs like an ATI mobility 3450 or nvidia 9300m gs.

Reply 8 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

probably getting a Indilinix 128GB SSD once they fix their darn firmware issues



might opt for an intel instead but i only have about 2 weeks to get one

Reply 9 : Fujitsu laptop owners: Past, Present, and Future

I have a 4220 and a P1629 right now and almost forgot a P1120 too.



I do not like the build quality as compared to Panasonics which I abuse every day in the field but there is something about the Fujitsu' that I can not stay away from too?



The screen quality is nice but I don't really like the touchscreen sensitivity and that I almost need a stylus for the 1620.



I can live without the Fujitsu's but not the Toughbooks.



Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment