Thursday, April 21, 2011

Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

Specifically I was wondering if the gfx switching was supported in ubuntu via the built in physical switch?



I don't really know how ubuntu or other linux distro support for new hardware works, but I imagine it would take some time after a new laptop is released for new features and switches' drivers to be included in a distro.



Are there any other laptops with physical switches to change gfx that are working with ubuntu?



Basically I want to get a new laptop, preferably with a discrete gfx. As I often use ubuntu, anything with optimus seems out of the question, and I just want to know how much hassle physical gfx switching is going to be.

Reply 1 : Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

The ones with physical switches tend to be the first generation, I'm not sure about Sony laptops though. The ASUS N10J had a physical switch and it took a little bit of work but with a script it was able to detect at startup which card was in use and create symlinks for the relevant files. See: Linux on the ASUS N10 N10J

Reply 2 : Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

Thanks for the reply.



I thought I was making the linux friendly choice by going with the SB with ATI gfx rather than other laptops with optimus. I hope it's not going to be too complicated to sort out.



I like using linux as my everyday OS, but I admit I really don't like faffing about trying to get drivers working and having to remember a whole bunch of scripts and customisations made that break every time I update to a new version...



I might have to lower my expectations and look for a laptop with only two of the following: portable / gaming capable / Linux friendly. I had hoped for all three.

Reply 3 : Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

If it's ATI software-switchable, try vga_switcheroo

Reply 4 : Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

I have linux on my t400 with switchable GPU and the only way to switch it is to do so in bios. Not a big deal as I never really was a switcher, as I usually kept one on at all times depending on my uses.

Reply 5 : Has anyone put linux on a Sony SB/SA/SC or other gfx switching laptop?

If /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch exists, then you're running a kernel with switcheroo. Cat it to see what you've got. On my 4820TG I get this:



cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

0: :Pwr:0000:01:00.0

1:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0



The + is the IGP which I'm currently using, the 0: is the Discrete card which is powered on. To turn it off, as root I do:



echo "OFF" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch



and then the output of catting it is:



0: :Off:0000:01:00.0

1:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0



and it's powered off. When I look at /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state I see my power draw has gone from ~3000 mA to ~1500 mA and battery life has gone from 2.5 hours to 4.5 to 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment