Monday, April 18, 2011

Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

I am returning from the United States after a year abroad without a cell-phone. It is completely possible to live without one, but as I'll be returning to family members who worry, would like a way for them to feel connected.

Is it still possible to buy a personal pager?
If so, what are the most reliable? The least clunky?

Are there service plans on beepers?

I can certainly find them on Amazon, but do they just "work" when I receive it?

Alternatively, would it be completely insane to just have a home phone, with an answering machine?

Curious to hear all kinds of responses, critiques, other ideas.

Reply 1 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

So you get a beeper and receive a page to give someone a call. How will you call them? My wife and daughter have cell phones that are not used constantly. I believe they call them track or trac phones. The cost per minute runs rather high in comparison to those unlimited usage/unlimited minutes type but, since the phones aren't used more than a couple of times a week, the ladies figure it's a better deal. Their phones will do text messaging but don't take pictures and aren't any more bulky than pagers I've used in the past.

Reply 2 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

Tracfone provides texting, camera, LD, actual phone and it only costs, $low bucks. Mine I got for $5 and included new battery that alone make it worth it. Any similar service provides the same cell phones as any other pre-paid cell plans but maybe a 1-generation behind, not the very latest, but the features are equal, IMHO. When I buy again, I put my old one to be recycled for county use like battered women, child care, etc., or just out of the dumpster. Off soap box -----Willy happy

Reply 3 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

as is my daughters. I believe they got them either at Target or some drug store and never bought new ones with cameras. The worst that happens is that minutes are about to expire that haven't been used so they have to add more time to preserve them...and then have to call each other to chat about nothing just to burn down the minutes. It's great for them but not for folks whose ear has been pressed to a cell phone for so much time that it's taken on the shape of a cradle for it. happy

Reply 4 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

I put the double minutes on mine and get 800-1000 minutes plus a year of service for for $105. At home I have a Magic Jack hooked to a computer I leave on all the time to get phone service there for $30 per year, and I can take the Magic Jack on the road with me too if I want.

Reply 5 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

Forget beepers, a plain cell phone is your best option. Of course, if you want a beeper, then put cell phone on "vibe" and allow that. I use a Tracfone and rarely use up the minutes before it will run out and find it great as I don't use a LD plan at home. It allows LD at reasonable rates, but that's me. If you get the typical cell phone plan, then review them carefully before you sign. Oh yeah, beepers are still here, why not check into a "pen beeper" if you want slim. -----Willy happy

Reply 6 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

Buy a $20 phone at walmart, target, or other such place and go online and charge minutes onto your credit card. In less than an hour you have phone service. Also have for emergency use until you can get a more permanent solution for your particular phone habits.

Reply 7 : Pagers. Beepers. I'm serious.

Only I got mine through T-Mobile, a basic Motorola that I pay online every so often at 5 GBP a time, and use it for the occasional text messages. I can use it as an emergency phone if need be.

It keeps the relatives happy.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment