Thursday, March 17, 2011

Suddenly, I can't access the .mkv files on my external. What the heck is going on??

Just today, I went to my external drive to try and play a movie in mkv format, and I've never had difficulty opening anything until today. Keep in mind this is on my laptop.



When I open it in media player classic, it says file not found. What the heck?



So, I hover my mouse over one of the files, and it's ~8 GB, so it obviously exists. I then tried copying one of the files over to my desktop, and received the message "You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this file." What the HECK IS GOING ON?!!



Here's the strangest part. I then went and plugged my external drive into my desktop, and low and behold my movies played just fine; no access denied crap.



What in the world happened on my laptop to prohibit me access to my own files? I didn't make any changes that would have caused this to happen, or at least I don't think I did.

Reply 1 : Suddenly, I can't access the .mkv files on my external. What the heck is going on??

OK. As I see no one answered. You can try to go in properties of external drive (using explorer), In opened window go to security. You will see a list of users of computer. Click change and than choose your name and click Full access. The same for other users and admins if needed or if won't help. Good luck. Not sure that it will help

Reply 2 : Suddenly, I can't access the .mkv files on my external. What the heck is going on??

... restore the system to the point before the day you have the issue. Run a virus scan. Sounded like ownership issue as James mentioned above.



cheers ...

No comments:

Post a Comment