Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

I noticed that while gaming for even 30 minutes (DA2), the temperatures on my laptop (R2) are becoming pretty high. The processors are reaching 90-95 C, while the graphics card is reaching about 86. I believe the HDD (7200 RPM) is also reaching 44-47 C. I've tried blowing dust away from the vents, but I didn't really see any come out. These temperatures occur with a laptop cooler (Antec) running on high. If I don't use a cooler, the temperatures are about 10 degrees higher and the bottom part of the case becomes extremely hot. My friend's laptop (also an R2) gets to about 64 C while playing the same games. I even tried setting my laptop on a pencil to increase air intake.



Is it worth it to contact Dell support for this? Or is it easier to just open up the laptop myself and try applying some thermal paste? I'm a little worried that all this excessive heat may have damaged my laptop, as that is what happened to my old HP laptop (3 times).

Reply 1 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

I'd like to bump this. I'm having the exact same problem myself.

Reply 2 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

You could try A02 BIOS as people have reported that it runs cooler...

Reply 3 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

Wow, hwinfo32 reporting 291.2f on cpu. That has to be wrong. My machine did get really hot and I had to crank the fan and prop it up a bit off the desk so it could get better air flow while playing to keep that from happening. Playing Lotro ultra settings(except shadows) 1600x900. Still running really hot. My machine is brand new! How old is your machine?

Reply 4 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

I have the EXACT same problem as you, I burnt and lost my nerves in my finger bu touching the bottom of the case. I have a R1 though. I think I damaged the thermal paste by using the dumb OC I did to the GPU.

Reply 5 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

Yes, if your temps are in the 90s Celsius, that is way above where they should be and I recommend calling support (unless you prefer to try to reapply the thermal paste yourself first). Certainly don't use it for gaming anymore until it is addressed or you do risk damage.

Reply 6 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

What program do you guys use to monitor temps?

Reply 7 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

Thanks for the advice; I'll call support tomorrow. Do you think I should also ask them to evaluate damage already done (as it's been kind of sluggish lately), or would that simply be a waste of few weeks? I don't have much experience with Dell support.



I bought this laptop in July/August of 2010, so it's not that new. I use CPUID HWMonitor and Throttlestop (sometimes, can't really use its features due to the temps) to monitor my temperatures.

Reply 8 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

Yeah I would call support as soon as possible, those temperatures are definitely odd. Back up your hard drive just in-case as well.



And I'm not sure what Dell/Alienwares feelings are on overclocking using third-party programs..

Reply 9 : Temperatures getting higher - even with laptop fan

i have the same problem, ive never overclocked the notebook but when im playing rift i feel the heat on the keyboard.



ill open the notebook to clean it and see how is the hardware cos 3 days ago the laptop just shuted down and i couldnt turn it on because of the heat

No comments:

Post a Comment