Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

Screens:













Original thread: Installed OWC 16GB Ram - MacRumors Forums



Purchased from: 16.0GB (8GBx2) PC3-10600 DDR3 1333MHz SO-... (1333DDR3S16P) at OWC



8GBx2



Here's hoping the prices come down over the next couple of years so that we can all jump on the bandwagon.



This info was placed in a new thread to keep the information from being lost in the thread about 8GB of ram in an older MacBook Pro.

Reply 1 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

Hah definitely! Thanks again for putting this up! Was gonna try it out at my store but I didn't have the 1333mhz handy :P

Reply 2 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

Any word on whether it supports DDR3 1600MHz? Specs on Intel's site show that the CPU does.

Reply 3 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

If you already have 1333MHz, upgrading just to 1600MHz isn't going to make a difference.

Reply 4 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

That is nice, at least there is confirmation now. It was difficult to gauge 16GB RAM compatibility with the 2011 MBP's simply because Intel's website wasn't all that clear. Now I just need it to come down to $100 and I can jump on board as, right now, their price is more than I spent on my MBP.

Reply 5 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

Wow that's awesome! That kind of memory makes a world of difference in Aftereffects and 3D StudioMax, super jealous!

Reply 6 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

indeed. it is great news. I just wish there were more memory bays. The HP Elitebooks benefit from having 4 memory bays, so you can get to 16GB for much less money.



(though I know some of the Elitebook owners were having issues with their bays...dunno if they got those issues sorted)

Reply 7 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)

the RAM that cost more than the machine itself , what are you going to do with the 16GB? o.O

just wondered

Reply 8 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)


Quote:








Originally Posted by devilcm3
View Post

the RAM that cost more than the machine itself , what are you going to do with the 16GB? o.O

just wondered



same thing people asked years ago about 8gb... or 4gb... or even 1gb...

Reply 9 : 2011 MacBook Pro's support 16GB of ram (confirmed)


Quote:








Originally Posted by ajreynol
View Post

indeed. it is great news. I just wish there were more memory bays. The HP Elitebooks benefit from having 4 memory bays, so you can get to 16GB for much less money.



(though I know some of the Elitebook owners were having issues with their bays...dunno if they got those issues sorted)



I will let you know by the end of this month.



I have a 8540w coming and a 15" 2011 MBP coming (both by months end).

I have both equipped from factory with 8gb (2x4gb) ram and have a spare 8gb (2x4gb) ram waiting to pop into the 8540w.



If I could get my hands on some 2x8gb sticks I would pop them into the MBP but I dont have an extra $1600 laying around for that.



Either way, I am going to enjoy playing with both of these... errr I mean working ... yeah.. I bought these for work....



D.

No comments:

Post a Comment