Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm new to Wireless

Hi,
I have a Toshiba l655 laptop and I purchased Clear 4G wireless.
I did a speed test here at cnet and it registered about 3300 mps.
is that reasonable?
Also I have the option of allowing two connections at the same time (linksys) and that produced about 3600 mps.
Should I be closer to 4g with both running.
BTW I am running Norton.
Thanx in advance
Bill

Reply 1 : I'm new to Wireless

Your speed or bandwidth depends primarily on what your service provider can give you, based on where you live (ie how far from the your provider's telephone sub-station or exchange.
Without knowing what that is, the speed figures you've posted are meaningless to us.

When you connect two computers to the same router(I assume that's what you mean by having two connections at the same time) it does not give you a speed boost. The opposite is true -- speed will drop because the signal is now split between two computers.

Reply 2 : I'm new to Wireless

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.
I have a laptop and I am running a 4G USB plug antenna.
When I start the computer theG and WIFI try to start at the same time.
the is a message that states "two connections are not allowed".
I can right click on the 4G Icon and allow two connections but I was wondering if it would improve the connection or slow it down or are there any dangers.
Thanks.
Bill

Reply 3 : I'm new to Wireless

It will get confused is the simplest way to put it.

This is not unique to wireless it is related to idea that your machine should only have a single IP address and multiple connection generally gives one per connection. It is just a different version of the question of why you cannot have 2 ISP connection in your house.

You can make it work but you have to tell when to use each connection. For example you could say cnn was using connection 1 and cnet was using connection 2. If you can manually balance the traffic you might be able to get more total usage.

Although you can tell it to use both at the same time most stuff will not work. If for example you log into your bank from one IP and then all the sudden it gets connection from your other IP it will assume it is a hack.

Reply 4 : I'm new to Wireless

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment